Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Not Just Another Dad

I want to take a quick moment to thank my friend for volunteering to be he first guest post on my blog. I did my best not to restrain anyone who may want to do a guest post here. I am very impressed with what was written, and am proud to share it.

"Not Just Another Dad"

To tell you the truth I am not a father, the thought of it alone scares me. Now this is not to say that I don’t ever wish to be one. I am actually excited for the day when I can call someone my own. The reservations that I have stem from a long line of poor father figures. My father was not a good person, his father; from the little I remember of him was not a good father.
So it’s no surprise that every time I have been in a serious relationship I had always wondered the one question that bothers me the most. That being; will I be a crummy dad like mine? And if so, how do I break the “Curse” that seems to follow my family?

Thankfully I think I have found the answer to those pressing questions. My mother married a gentleman by the name is Jose when I was 12 and I have gotten a taste of what good parenthood is. Now I hope that one day I am as good as a parent as he was and still is. We talk often on the phone. More than I talk to my mom that is for sure. And while I don’t see that as a bad thing, I hope that he knows I appreciate him as much as I can express it without it being weird.

Fatherhood in my eyes is and should be a culmination of the ultimate in commitment. It makes me sad to see so many families fail and the kids pay the consequences. Now I know this isn’t every case, but its mine. So I think that I will wait to be married to start a family. I know that many un-married couples make it work without the need of a certificate. And I will not bore you with my religious propaganda. Because that is not what you came to see.

I will leave you with this; I am grateful for the many good fatherhood examples in my life, from friends to family members. I pray that one day, when that day comes when someone is crazy enough to marry me; I become half the father that my step dad didn’t have to be.

And yes folks I just quoted Mr. Brad Paisley!

-JM

[Thanks you JM]

9 comments:

  1. What a great post! Sounds like JM is not only going to be a great father but quite a catch as well! This is the first time I have found this blog and I am looking forward to reading more. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, and you're absolutely right, JM is a great guy. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. JM rocks. He's fabulous, and I know he will be a WONDERFUL father, because I've seen him treat my younger sisters in a spectacular way, and we are not related in anyway. But, I agree with him, and I know that his prayer that he'll be a good father will be answered with a "yes." All you have to do is TRY.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post. sounds like he's already on the way to becoming a great dad... when the time comes. when opportunity meets preparation it will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! It's refreshing to see the male perspective. Just stopping by following from Follow the Leader Weekly GFC Hop. Would love a follow back: blog.writerslairbooks.com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great blog, and You have a beautiful family!
    Following from follow the leader hop
    Hope you get a chance to stop by. mamawannasave.com
    Blessings
    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey stopping by from the "follow the leader" blog hop doing a little self promotion cuz we're cool like that :). Be sure to come check us out! www.christanncox.blogspot.com WE FOLLOW BACK! have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry, I just posted a comment and it got eaten up!! Apologies if I'm repeating myself here. "Anyone can be a father; it takes someone special to be a dad". A wonderful saying. Great post.

    Came over from Follow my leader hop.
    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to all who have left comments, and thanks again to my friend JM who wrote this post. If you found MvD through a Blog hop, I have recently moved it to Wordpress, and will be phasing out of using this one. Please stop by http://manvdadhood.com and see the new look and new outlook there.

    Thanks again,
    -JB

    ReplyDelete